Like most things when it comes to driving, reverse parking can be tricky until you have learned the proper technique and have practiced it enough in order to be able to confidently say you have mastered the skill of reverse parking in Victoria. The confidence at knowing how to reverse park comes only after you have practiced carefully, testing out the technique slowly and safely. You will find that, over time, reverse parking your car will become much easier.
When trying to reverse park your car, use the following technique to do so easily and precisely. The following steps detail how to park a car in reverse and you can use them as driving test tips if you are currently preparing to get your licence:
- Start by turning on your signal : This is important in order to communicate to other cars in the nearby area what you are trying to do so that you do not end up confusing them and causing an accident.
- Pull over near the available space and wait for cars to pass : You want to do this so you are not blocking the traffic behind you or coming towards you as you try to park your car. Just wait for the traffic to pass before beginning to maneuver your car into the parking space. Also, remember not to turn across or into traffic until the lane is clear.
- Position your vehicle : Once you have a clear shot to reverse park, drive up until your car is halfway past whatever space you are going for, with your car positioned close to the middle of both of the lanes.
- Put the car in reverse : You’ll want to turn the wheel so it is aimed at the side where the parking space you want your car to occupy is on. Look behind you while you are driving in reverse so you won’t hit any of the surrounding cars. Because you started in the middle of the street, you should be able to use a hard turn in order to get into the space while leaving all of the cars around you completely unscathed.
- As your car goes backwards, straighten out your wheel. Keep an eye on your mirrors as you do this so you are certain not to damage anything around you with your car.
- Finally, you can now straighten out your car within the space as needed if you find that your parking job is a little crooked. You can do this by putting the car in drive and going forward a little, then backing in again at the desired angle until you car is positioned just the way you want it.
It can be difficult to get the hang of this technique on your first try, but as you continue to try it again and again, you will find it getting easier and more seamless with every attempt. Soon enough, you will be a master at reverse parking in Victoria!
For affordable driving lessons in Melbourne, click here
Go back to Home Page